Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dirt Bike Riding: Florence Junction 2

8/13/2010


We went back to the same location between Florence Jct. and Florence to do some more trail riding. Along the way we stopped to gather some more prickly pear fruit. I've mentioned them before and they are very good to just eat out on the go, though kind of tedious to get around the little glochid spines. This time I wanted to try to make something out of them so before we went out I gathered a few recipes found online and decided I needed at least 20-30. We gathered them and kept riding. At home I made a very good dessert dish that everybody thoroughly enjoyed. The following is the recipe I found and used to make this dessert. There are different ways to prepare the prickly pear juice that I've found but I kind of combined a few and did it my own way. I sliced the ends off so I would have something to touch with no glochids. Then I sliced off the skin with a serrated knife so there were no glochids left on. Then gathered them all in a bowl and put them in the blender. I blended it so that there were no more chunks. I suppose some water could be added though they are juicy enough to blend up nicely. Then strain the broken up seeds out and there is your juice to use in the recipe. Next I want to try cookies and jelly, and of course this dessert again. 



1. Crust: 1 cup flour
1 stick butter
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix together and press in 9" x 13" pan.Bake at 350 degrees F until brown. Let cool and add second layer.

2. Mix: 8 oz cream cheese
1 cup poudered sugar
1 cup Cool Whip (large carton)
Spread evenly over cooled crust.

3. Boil: 1-1/2 cup prickly pear juice
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix 1/2 cup corn starch and 1/2 cup water to make a smooth paste, add to boiling mixture gradually, stirring constantly. Cook until thick and remove from the heat. Combine 4 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Stir into mixture. Return to heat and cook stirring constantly until it bubbles. stir in 4 tablespoons butter. Remove from heat, cover, and cool until lukewarm. Pour over cream cheese layer. Spread evenly. Top with remaining Cool Whip.
--Nancy Hutto   



As we continued to ride I stopped abruptly when I saw a white lizard run between bushes. I got off my bike and pulled out my camera hoping to get a shot of what could have been a Desert Iguana. I noticed it stopped and realized it was just a Zebra-tailed lizard. A species that is much more white than the pictures and previous lizards I had seen. Can you spot it in the picture above? The picture to the right is a close-up of the lizard. While I was looking at this lizard my brother and friend noticed another and followed it into a pronghorn cholla. I came over and snapped the following picture. It was a Desert Spiny Lizard. It's amazing how their armor scales protect them so well they just run along on cactus spines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment