Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Animals of Prescott

8/6-9/2010


This weekend I went up to a camp in Prescott with my friend's church for a nationwide conference. While up there I had a few run-ins with different kinds of animals, some that I have never seen before which was exciting. On the first day I was walking around the camp with a friend and as we were nearing the cabin at the edge of the property, he yelled, "What is that!!" There was a short snakish thing scurrying toward a hole under the cabin. I immediately ran at it and stopped it from going under. Then we got some pictures of it and noticed it had tiny legs. My first thought was a skink, but then I remembered another similar lizard that had another name but I couldn't think of it at the time. After that I got my reptile book out and found it to be the Madrean Alligator Lizard. 


That night in the cabin a large beetle was wandering around. I got some pictures of it, the rhinoceros beetle. Then I went outside and saw a skunk off in the distance. I ran inside, grabbed my camera, and followed the skunk through the forest, taking some pictures as I went. 

The next day I was wandering around the forest where the alligator lizard had been when I heard a squirrel barking at me and making lots of noise up in a tree a little ways away. I kept walking and it stopped. Then I went back to the same spot and it went crazy again. Every time I walked on this little plot of land it would yell at me. My guess is he hid something there or I was near 'his' tree. On the last night a few of us were left gathered around the camp fire at the amphitheater. Then I saw something scurrying under the top bench. So I went up and it was a tiny mouse. So I followed it taking pictures until it stopped and then  I got the following one of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment