Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Superstitions: Flat Iron

I love hiking! I hate going up but I do it so I can run down the mountain. This post is about Flatiron in the Superstition mountains. If you haven't hiked it and like to hike, you have to do it. The view from the top is amazing. You can see all of the valley. From the bottom it can look like a daunting task ahead of you, but in the end it is worth it. This picture is a view from the bottom. We are headed to the top right plateau.

This next picture is at the half way point. Much closer at last.

Once at the top you can see for miles! A blooming agave cactus in view as well.

As we began our hike back down we looked off into the distance and saw a mini dust devil. At least it was mini from how far we were.

Taking a closer look shows how large it really was.


On one hike, after nearing the top, a police helicopter circle above us and then we believed it landed on the top. I was with 3 other friends so I ran ahead to the top where I could see what was going on. I looked over and saw the rotors spinning slowly and a man standing near the edge with what looked like a camera. Then he got back in the helicopter and they flew off back toward Phoenix. It seems odd that a police helicopter would fly up there just to take a look at the scenery but then again, who knows.

On a different trip, while eating snacks at the top and cooling down, we saw a couple further up on the plateau. Then all of a sudden my friend says, he just proposed to her!! I'm thinking No way! That is so cool. But we couldn't tell for sure so for the rest of the time we were trying to decide if they actually got engaged or not. I made the comment that it would be a horrible experience if you proposed at the top of a mountain and she said 'no'. That would be the worst hike back down a mountain ever!

After coming down the mountain one trip, we were running along the base trail back to the car. As we neared the parking lot, we were interrupted by a sharp rattling sound. There was a Diamondback rattlesnake on the side of the trail. I stopped immediately to grab my camera while my hiking buddy (a girl) started doing a crazy fleeing dance right into me. I had to stop her because the most logical thing to do in a moment such as this was to return to the snake and take pictures. And that is what I did. The snake was simply heading back off the trail into the bushes. What an exciting experience; one that gets your heart racing even more than running down a mountain.

So now about the logistics of the hike. The change in elevation is 2781' from a low point of 2080' to a height of 4861' at the peak. To get there you take the US 60 to Idaho Rd (Highway 88). Follow the signs to stay on this road. After a while you will make a right into the Lost Dutchman State Park, which has a sign for it. You have to pay for parking when you enter. It used to be a worker in a booth but since the state of Arizona had to stop funding some state parks, the city of Apache Junction has taken over and put in a manual booth. You pay the 7 dollars for the day into a little packet and put it in the box while taking the tear-off tab with you in your car. Make sure to grab a map at the pay station. Park in the Saguaro parking lot. To get to Flatiron, head up the trail and take Jacob's Crosscut. This will lead to Siphon Draw Trail which heads right up toward the top. There are also many other shorter trails on the map that you can take if you want a shorter hike at the base of the mountain. The hike to Flatiron takes on average around 5 hours hiking time to complete. This doesn't include resting time at the top to eat a quick re-energizing snack and to enjoy the view. I have done the hike in just over 3 hours minus the time at the top. Make sure you have plenty of water for this hike as it is a very challenging hike.

I hope this was helpful to all and hope to see you out on the mountain!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool.. :) I hiked to the top of the main part of the mountain with a friend back in the mid '80's. We parked at Mining Camp restaurant and spent the night up there. I have a picture of it somewhere lol...

    ReplyDelete