Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Previous Salt River Trip

On June 2 I went fishing at the Salt River with my brother. I caught one small bass on a rainbow rapala after fishing for an hour or so. My brother had caught a bass before that. I found a spot where I could see quite a few bass swimming around just out past some trees. A big one and a smaller one were swimming together around one spot. I tried many lures, with a few bites, until I finally caught the smaller one a rubber helgramite. It was 13 inches and I decided to keep it. Then I tried just about every other lure until I got back to the first one and finally caught the other bass which was a nice 15.5 inch bass shown here.

I was fishing from the edge of the shore with a thick tree line surrounding me. I saw there might be another spot I could fish from just to my left so I crawled on my stomach under some low branches and got there. I barely had room to cast my line. There were two fish around one spot just out a ways. One was HUGE!! It was the biggest bass I had ever seen at the salt river. Had to be over 20 inches. But there was another smaller one swimming with it that always took my lure. I eventually caught the smaller one but it was the same size as my first fish so I decided to let it go. But he still kept biting and wouldn't let the larger fish bite. So when I caught him again I decided to keep him. I went back and kept fishing for the big fish. I hooked him!! I was reeling him in when all of a sudden he spit the lure out! Oh boy was that a disappointment. After that he swam around more and was more skittish and wouldn't bite again. I did however see another large one swimming further out, so there are more large bass at the salt river. While fishing in that spot I heard something and looked across the river and up on the rock ledge and saw two bald eagles. They just sat there the whole time I was fishing. That was a neat experience and would have loved to have some binoculars or a camera that had more zoom.

Several days later I went back with my friend hoping to catch this monster. Unfortunately there was some more moss around and the fish wasn't in the same spot. I tried fishing around the area while my friend was situated with a bobber and worms (both night crawlers and meal worms) in a large eddy. I caught one small bluegill on a rubber helgramite while trying to entice a bass. I crossed the river and saw some bass and bluegill around. I tried fishing for them and got several bites but nothing would bite hard enough to hook. While fishing in a small cove I looked out to my left and saw a monster bass swimming right by like he owned the place! This was just across from where I had seen the other two large bass so it could have been one of the same ones. I cast out in front of him but he just swam right on by. I eventually gave up and headed back to my friend to fish for some bluegill. I caught one first cast with a meal worm on bobber and was going to keep it but it fell out of my hands back in the water. My friend caught 4 bluegill total and we called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment