Monday, June 21, 2010

Salt River Fishing

So last night we decided we would go fishing this morning (that's me, my brother, and my friend). We were deciding between taking our blow up raft to Saguaro or fishing the Salt River which we had done a couple times in the past few weeks (those stories coming later). Salt River it was. We got up at 4:00 am this morning and packed up to go fishing. We started fishing before the sun came over the mountains and had no success. But our luck was about to change.

We decided we would cross the river and get to a spot where fewer people would fish. On the way there I saw a Giant Blue Heron standing on the shore with a large rainbow trout in its mouth. I wanted that trout. So I threw a rock in its direction and to my amazement it dropped the trout there in the water and flew away. Stunned for a second that he didn't fly away with the fish, I regained myself and ran to the water, dropping everything on the way. I rushed into the water and grabbed the still kicking trout. It had a slight gash on its gill where the Herring had grabbed it and we noticed it also had a hook in its throat. Someone must have hooked it before and the line broke. The trout was just over 16 inches long!! A massive trout for the Salt River. We decided to keep it.

Then we made our way across the river and very quickly I caught a 16 in large mouth bass. After trying several different lures I finally enticed him on an earthworm. After that I caught 4 bluegill on the worms, one of which was 9 inches that we kept as well as the bass and trout. Only one more small bass for me and my friend had one bluegill and my brother, zilch.



Overall it was a good day and we enjoyed it.

If you are wanting to go fishing nearby, the salt river can have some very sweet rewards. The large mouth bass spawn was a month or two ago and so there are many babies swimming around. The bite has slowed down and the bass are not as aggressive in their eating. For this reason we tried a drop shot rig so that the bass would have more time to decide to strike the lure. I had a few bites on this but no luck. If you really want to catch them, try bringing along some night crawlers. Look for a spot behind some trees that may be harder to get to where it isn't fished as frequently. If you can spot the bass swimming around, stay very still and hide as you cast past them and bring the bait to them. If they don't know you're there, they will try just about anything. Once they get scared of you, you will have a harder time getting them to bite.

I hope this was fun to read and helped you if you are wanting to go fishing. Stay tuned for more adventures and feel free to leave any comments.

1 comment:

  1. now who would have thought you would have caught a trout that way! interesting post can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete