Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Urban Lakes: Red Mountain and Water Ranch

6/30/10
Today I tried out two urban lakes. One in the morning and the other in the evening. In the morning my brother, friend, and I went to Red Mountain Park Lake. My brother and I got there as the sun was coming up, picked a spot and started fishing. My friend was coming later. As soon as I threw in my line I had a bite and the bite continued with no fish. Finally my brother hooked one. It was a small bluegill. My friend came and after an hour we had 7 fish all together. Nothing big enough to keep. We tried a few more locations before I had to leave and my brother and friend continued to fish. They went back tot he first spot and 3 hours later they had caught a total of 51 bluegill.
That same evening at 7:00, my friend and I went to the Water Ranch lake by the greenfield library to try for some catfish with stinkbait and worms. We got there and wanted to be near the bridge on the library side but it was crowded so we went to the other side to fish. My friend caught two very small bluegills and later caught a couple crawdads. The lake was very shallow on that side and so my four pound line got caught several times on rocks and broke. Other than that we didn't get a bite so we left around 9 something. Later this weekend my friend went back during the day to look around the lake and fish and noticed a lot of dead catfish floating around the lake. I'm not sure what killed them but that might slow the catfish bite at that location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment