Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cabin: Day 2

7/02/10 
My brother and I wanted to fish Ashurst lake which was near the cabin. So we went out around 9 and walked around the entire lake fishing as we went. Right off the bat we realized we forgot to pack any food. There was a geocache right near the water so we tried to find it but had no luck so we continued fishing. --Geocaches are hidden containers around the world that people hide and post the GPS coordinates online so others can find them. It's like a huge treasure hunt. Once you find them you can tell stories about them online. There are more than 1,000,000 geocaches hidden all around the world-- After a little while with no bites, I said if we caught any pike we should trade it to some campers for some food. The goal, however, was to bring some fish home so we could eat them that night. My brother said, “What would they think if we came home and they asked if we caught anything and we said yeah...but we traded it for this granola bar....and it was good!!” Anyway, we kept fishing. We came into a very shallow cove with lots of weeds. After fishing it for a little bit and my brother getting caught on several rocks, I said it was too shallow and we should move on. But he threw in his line so I did as well. Then a 5 lb pike grabbed my lure, came to the top so I could see its back, and then spit it out!! Trying several other lures gave no other response from the fish. At the end of the cove a small pike the size of a 5 inch Rapala darted at my lure and then back down.

By this time we were getting pretty hungry. Then my brother found an unopened granola bar on the ground. It was the best Oats 'n' Honey bar ever. Then shortly after eating I had another 5 lb pike grab my line, and after coming to the top, spit it out once again!. Soon after that we were back on the other side but still down a ways from the truck. A truck drove by on the lake road with kids waving at us. It was our friends. They brought us food! We ate our fill of PB&J and some cookies and then continued fishing. We sent them out to find the two geocahces near the lake but they returned with no success either. Then I started getting lots of bites from small pike all under a pound and a half. I had one bite twice and then pulled it just out of the water before it spit it out and fell back in. Then I finally caught one after it bit twice as well. It was 8 inches long. Shortly after that, after a few more bites, I had another fish--an 11 inch pike. Then my brother saw a 5 lb pike surface and dive back down, seeing the entire body come to the top. But once again we couldn't get it to bite. Sadly this ended our day of fishing and we headed back to the cabin to have some blow gun competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment